Test your knowledge of Arizona history with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score.
2. From what observatory was the planet Pluto discovered?
3. From what city did Barry Goldwater launch his 1964 Presidential campaign?
4. What 1854 purchase of land from Mexico brought southern Arizona into the U.S.?
5. What former Arizona governor gave the Easter Sunrise Service at the Grand Canyon for 25 years?
6. Who was the first woman Governor of Arizona?
7. What historic Mormon fort is located in northwest Arizona?
8. What was the name given to the U.S. Cavalry’s black soldiers?
9. Who did Barry Goldwater defeat for the United States Senate in 1952 in one of Arizona’s major political upsets?
10. What institution used the slogan “Arizona grows where water flows”?
11. Who is credited with having given Phoenix its name?
12. What happened on October 26, 1881 in Tombstone that brought everlasting fame to Wyatt Earp?
13. What were the General Jessup and Nina Tilden?
14. Who headed the Spanish expedition comprised of the first non-Indians to see the Grand Canyon?
15. Which of the Earp brothers was gunned down in Hatch’s Saloon (in Tombstone) in 1882?
1. New Mexico Territory
2. Lowell Observatory (Flagstaff)
3. Prescott (on the courthouse steps)
4. Gadsden Purchase
5. Howard Pyle (1935-1960)
6. Rose Mofford (1988-1991)
7. Pipe Spring (National Monument)
8. Buffalo Soldiers (formed in 1866)
9. Ernest W. McFarland
10. Salt River Project
11. Darrell Duppa (Jack Swilling also acceptable)
12. The Gunfight at OK Corral
13. Arizona steamboats
14. Captain Garcia Lopez de Cardenas