Test your knowledge of Arizona Geography with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score. Did any answers surprise you?
2. What mountain range is north of Tucson?
3. What Indian reservation is located completely within the boundaries of another?
4. The historic Q Ranch in bordering Pleasant Valley (Young, AZ) is in the area of which two feuding families?
5. What is Arizona’s longest river?
6. Within 25 miles, how long is the Grand Canyon?
7. Name the highest mountain peak in Arizona.
8. Which rim of the Grand Canyon is higher, the north or south rim?
9. What city is located near Lynx Lake?
10. What northern Arizona mountain range was named by early Spanish missionaries for their patron Saint?
11. On what Indian reservation is Kitt Peak Observatory located?
12. Compared to all the states, does Arizona rank third, fourth, sixth or ninth in terms of land area?
13. What is Arizona’s largest state park?
14. Which city is highest in elevation: Nogales or Bisbee?
15. What east-west interstate highway replaced Route 66 across northern Arizona?
1. Roosevelt, Coolidge, and Hoover Dam
2. Santa Catalina Mountains
3. Hopi (surrounded by the Navajo Reservation)
4. Grahams and Tewksburys
5. The Colorado. Total length of the Colorado is 1,440 mi. of which 688 are in Arizona (277 mi. are in the Grand Canyon).
6. 277 miles
7. Humphrey’s Peak, Flagstaff (12,633 feet)
8. North rim (1200 feet higher) Point Imperial is the highest point at 8872 feet.
10. San Francisco Peaks (St. Francis of Assisi)
11. Papago (Tohono O’odham)
13. Lake Havasu State Park
14. Bisbee (5,000 feet)
15. Interstate 40