Test your knowledge of cactus and wildlife of Arizona with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score. Did any answers surprise you?
2. In what city is Fort Whipple Veterans Hospital located?
3. Where is the monument to camel driver Hi Jolly (Hadji Ali) located?
4. Where is Phantom Ranch located?
5. From what country did Tempe derive its name?
6. What anniversary did Tucson celebrate in 1975?
7. Where is Bell Rock?
8. Name the crater near Winslow that is almost one mile across.
9. Where might one find Fred Flintstone in Arizona?
10. What former southern Arizona boomtown’s name was synonymous with pumpkins and gourds?
11. What is the Phoenix metropolitan area affectionately referred to as?
12. What desert community is jokingly called the “Fan Belt Capital of the World”?
13. What city has the Rosson House?
14. What city was the center of Arizona’s sheep industry in the late 1800s?
15. Where is Bucky O’Neill Hill?
16. What city is sometimes referred to as the Concentrator City?
17. Where is Tlaquepaque? (T-lockay-pockay)?
18. Name one Arizona community with the same name as a U.S. President.
19. Name one of Arizona’s “mile-high” cities.
20. What city is located in Tombstone Canyon?
1. Casa Grande
4. At the bottom of the Grand Canyon
5. Greece (Vale of Tempe)
6. Bicentennial (200 years)
8. Meteor Crater
9. Bedrock City (Valle), on the road to the Grand Canyon
11. Valley of the Sun
12. Gila Bend
18. Coolidge, Roosevelt, Johnson, Taylor and Fort Grant
19. Prescott or Bisbee