Test your knowledge of Arizona with this quick sampler, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score. Good luck! These questions are a little harder than previous trivia posted on the blog!
1. What is the oldest building on the University of Arizona campus?
2. Which architect is known for his wind bells?
3. The wood from which desert tree is in vogue for grilling steaks?
4. What is the English translation of Santa Cruz (County)?
5. What is Arizona’s number one farm crop?
6. What is the Spanish word for fort?
7. What Phoenix museum is world renowned for its collection of Indian culture?
8. Members of what Indian tribe live at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
9. Name the first black person elected to the Arizona Senate.
10. To call a person a “Hassayamper” is a polite way of saying that one is a?
11. What is Arizona’s motto?
12. Why is the Hopi Snake Dance performed?
13. What Indian tribe lives on the San Carlos Indian Reservation?
14. What city claims to be the home of the world’s oldest continuous professional rodeo?
15. On what date did Arizona become a state? (Month, day and year)
1. Old Main
2. Paolo Soleri
4. Holy Cross
7. Heard Museum
8. The Havasupai
9. Clovis Campbell, 1966
10. Liar (legend has it that after drinking from the Hassayampa River one can never tell the truth again)
11. Ditat Deus (God Enriches)
12. To bring rain to sun-parched Hopi land
14. Prescott (1888)
15. February 14, 1912 (Valentine’s Day)