Test your knowledge of cactus and wildlife of Arizona with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score. Did any answers surprise you?
- What are Abert, Kaibab, and Red?
- What are Yucca, Agave and Ocotillo?
- What is Arizona’s state bird?
- What desert plant has long arms and a scarlet-orange blossom and is sometimes referred to as a “Monkey’s Tail”?
- What cactus is also known as “Pitahaya”?
- What red shape appears on female black widow spiders?
- In Arizona, when speaking of “pronghorn” to what is one referring?
- What is the wapiti more commonly called?
- What popular bird can fly backwards and straight up?
- What is Arizona’s only native game fish?
- What is the only poisonous lizard in the United States?
- What desert plant blooms only once in its lifetime?
- Types of squirrels found in Arizona
- Desert plants (not cacti)
- Cactus Wren
- Organ Pipe
- An hourglass
- Arizona trout
- Gila monster
- Agave or Century plant. (Blooms once in 10 to 75 years.)