Test your knowledge of Arizona places, people and culture with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score.
- Name Arizona’s smallest Indian Reservation in land area.
- What type of wood was made famous by Seri Indian woodcarvers?
- What is the state gemstone?
- What color is the star on Arizona’s state flag?
- What is the state tree of Arizona?
- What is the word used to describe a spectacular strike of rich, high grade ore?
- What famous Rough Rider is associated with the bronze statue in front of the Prescott courthouse?
- Name the Indian tribe that performs the snake dance.
- Name the car dealer magnate who made his mark by selling cars and trucks while atop a Brahma steer saying, “This ain’t no bull!”
- How many red and yellow rays are on the Arizona state flag?
- What was Bethany Home Road in Phoenix named for?
- Name two well-known Arizona newspapermen, historians and environmentalists, who died in 1996 in the same week.
- Who coined the phrase about Scottsdale, “The West’s Most Western Town”?
- Tonto-Apache near Payson (85 acres)
- Palo Verde
- Buckey O’Neill
- Tex Earnhardt
- 13 (6 yellow/gold and 7 red)
- The Bethany Home, an early-day tuberculosis sanitarium and goat farm at 16th St. and what is now Bethany Home Road
- Ben Avery and Lester Ward “Budge” Ruffner
- Scottsdale artist Wes Segner (1946)