Test your knowledge of Arizona’s political and legal history with this short quiz, originally published in Marshall Trimble’s Official Arizona Trivia. Don’t scroll down too quickly. The answers are posted shortly below the questions. When you’re finished, leave a comment with your score.
- Who was the first Asian-American elected mayor of a major U.S. city?
- How many counties did Arizona have when it became a state?
- Who was Arizona’s “Balloon Buster” in World War I and the first aviator to win the Congressional Medal of Honor?
- Who was the only Arizonan to win the Congressional Medal of Honor during World War II?
- Who ran for governor against Bruce Babbitt in 1978?
- Name the former Governor of Arizona who has been a United States Ambassador to 3 countries.
- Name the former riverport city that was also home of Arizona’s infamous territorial prison.
- Name two federal work programs conducted in Arizona during the 1930s Depression.
- Who was the “Father of the Democratic Party” in Arizona?
- In what year did Arizona become a state?
- What is Arizona’s most celebrated 1963 criminal court case?
- What famous gunfighter/sheriff once owned the San Bernardino Ranch near Douglas?
- Willie Wong, Mesa, 1991
- Frank Luke
- Silvestre Herrera
- Evan Mecham
- Raul Castro (El Salvador, Bolivia and Argentina)
- WPA, PWA, NYA, CCC
- Morris Goldwater (Barry Goldwater’s uncle)
- 1912 (February 14)
- The Miranda case (reading of rights)
- John Slaughter