DOUGLAS – The most interdenominational block in the world may be the Church Square, located a short distance from the heart of the city. There’s a church on every corner. It’s been that way for more than a century.
The Grace United Methodist was built on the northwest corner in 1902. The next year, the local Episcopalians erected St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church on the northeast corner, and that was followed by the completion of the First Baptist Church on the southwest corner in 1904. The holy quartet was completed when the First Presbyterian Church was finished in 1907.
The square takes up the block bounded by Tenth and Eleventh streets and D and E avenues.