Tug-of-War Settles Oraibi Dispute

Oraibi Pueblo, circa 1899, is listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places.

ORAIBI — This small community on the Hopi Reservation vies with Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico and St. Augustine in Florida for the honor of being the oldest continuously inhabited town in the United States. Unearthed artifacts indicate there have been people living here since about 1150 A.D.

Cornville Named After Post Office Mistake

Cornville

CORNVILLE — This pleasant little community in Yavapai County got its current name due to an error committed by the U.S. Post Office Department in Washington, D.C. The original name for the location was Pitchner Place and a post office was established in 1885. As a settlement formed around the site, the residents figured Pitchner Place didn’t have the proper appeal.

Pipe Spring National Monument Named After Sharpshooter Feat

Windsor Castle located at Pipe Spring National Monument in northwest Arizona. Source: Wikipedia

PIPE SPRING NATIONAL MONUMENT — William Hamblin, also known as “Gunlock Bill,” was a sharpshooter who arrived in the area with an advance party in 1858. Hamblin’s ability with a rifle was a prime source of income for him and his associates, who wagered that he could shoot a hole through a kerchief from 50 yards away.

There’s No Bull in Bullhead City

Bullhead City along Colorado River. Courtesy of Stan Shebs.

BULLHEAD CITY — The reason behind this city’s rather uncommon name is just a vague memory in the minds of old timers. Years ago, it was just a private development along the Colorado River in Mohave County, occupied by a gas station and a few houses. A large stone formation that, when viewed from the proper angle, resembled a horned bull sat in the river and became an important symbol for the area.

A Well-Traveled Dinosaur in Holbrook

Bronze dinosaur statue was donated to the City of Holbrook. Photo Credit: Sam Lowe

HOLBROOK — A bronze statue of a dinosaur stands almost forlornly in Living West Park here. How it got there is an interesting story. It began in 1997 when the Lundeen family bought the sculpture in New York with the intention of converting it into an outdoor shower near the swimming pool.