CORNVILLE — This pleasant little community in Yavapai County got its current name due to an error committed by the U.S. Post Office Department in Washington, D.C. The original name for the location was Pitchner Place and a post office was established in 1885. As a settlement formed around the site, the residents figured Pitchner Place didn’t have the proper appeal.
BULLHEAD CITY — The reason behind this city’s rather uncommon name is just a vague memory in the minds of old timers. Years ago, it was just a private development along the Colorado River in Mohave County, occupied by a gas station and a few houses. A large stone formation that, when viewed from the proper angle, resembled a horned bull sat in the river and became an important symbol for the area.